English Name :- Asafoetida
Botanical Name :- Ferula foetida
Family :- UMBELLLIFERAE
Parts - Used:- Gum-Resin
Habit :- A small shrubby tree 5-9 feet high, leaves hairy, ovate, decurrent, multfid, 1-2 feet long, flowers in terminal umbel of yellow colour.
Taste :- Bitter-Acrid
Chemical Constituents :- Resin- Gum contains: Volatile oil which contains: Terpenes, Disulphide; Resin which contains: Asaresinotannol, Asaresinol ferulic acid ester, Free ferulic acid, Gum.
Colic, Cholera, Malarial fever, Pneumonia, Bronchitis, Nervous disorder of Hysteria, Cough, Flatulance, Anthelmintic (Round worms) Nervine stimulant.
- It is chiefly a spice used in food, pickles and many other things.
- It is used to flavor curries, cereals and meat balls.
- It helps expel gas from stomach and counteracts any spasmodic disorder.
- It is a nerve stimulant, digestive agent and a sedative.
- It is effective in chronic bronchitis HINI swine flue and asthma.
- It cures irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- It treats whooping cough and hoarse throat.
- It is used to remove physical fatigue and mental depression.
- It is used to restart menstrual periods after they have stopped for some reasons.
- It is very useful in stomach ache and prevents insect bites.
- It is a good repellent and repels insects, gnats, mosquitoes and even dogs, cats and wildlife.
- It cures urine problems.
- It helps check miss carriages and abortion.
- It cures high blood level and can thin the blood.
- It is effective to remove round worms.
- It is used to make digestive powder such as: ‘Hingoastic Churan’ which is a panacea for all stomach ailments.
A word of caution
Its odor is too strong that it should be kept in tight containers otherwise its aroma will contaminate the other species stored nearby.
Information on the traditional uses and properties of herbs provided on the site is for educational use only, and is not intended as medical advice. Every attempt has been made for accuracy but none is guaranteed. Many traditional uses and properties of this herb have not been validated by the FDA. If you have any serious health concern you should consult with your health care practitioner before self administering this herb.