English Name :- Calotropis procera
Botanical Name :- Calotropis procera.
Family :- ASCLEPIADACEAE
Parts - Used:- Roots, Leaves, Flowers and Latex
Habit :- Anerect shrub, young parts clothed with white cottony is hairs, flowers is umbel cymes & Latex (Milky)
Chemical Constituents :- Plant contains:- Cardiac Steroid glycoside- Terpenoids, Resin, glycosides, Carbohydrates, Aluminum, Iron, Magnesium, Sodium.
Skin diseases:- Leucoderma, Eczema, Ulcer, Piles, Spleenomegaly, Dropsy, Anthelimintic: Fresh leaves in: Rheamatiod Arthrirtis, Inflammation; Dried & Yellow leaves. Useful in cough and Ashtma.
- For treating poisonous snake bites its few leaves are chewed and the juice of its roots is applied over the bitten area.
- For curing fevers the juice of its leaves mixed with equal quantity of honey is taken and the body temperature comes down immediately. This solution kills worms in the intestine.
- The powder of its dried leaves when applied externally heals stomach ulcers.
- Its latex cures rat biting when applied over the infected area and cures rheumatic disorders.
- Its latex cures all dental related problems.
- Its white madar is highly purgative. It cleans the stomach of all the unwanted waste contained in it and cures other stomach problems.
- Its latex is applied over the affected area to cure the nerve disorder.
- Its flowers are highly beneficial in treating asthma.
- It increases blood circulation and energy levels. It keeps the mind calm and provides youthful feeling.
- Its leaves when inserted into the cervix cause labour pains and induce abortion.
- The oil extracted from this herb is used to treat skin problems like Ringworm and Eczema and other skin related problems such as: itching and psoriasis.
- It is highly beneficial in curing enlarged spleen and lever.
A word of caution
Information on the traditional uses and properties of herbs provided on the site is for educational use only, and is not intended as medical advice. Every attempt has been made for accuracy but none is guaranteed. Many traditional uses and properties of this herb have not been validated by the FDA. If you have any serious health concern you should consult with your health care practitioner before self administering this herb.