English Name :- Centella asiatica
Botanical Name :- Centella asiatica.
Family :- UMBELLIFERA
Parts - Used:- Whole leaves, plant and seeds
Habit :- A small creeping herb with slender reddish stem rootin at nodes, leaves orbicular kidney shaped, margin crenate with long petiole, Flowers pink in fascicled umbels.
Taste :- Bitter.
Chemical Constituents :- Plant contains Alkaloids, Brahmin, Herpestin and Bascosides A&B in bacoside-A Arabnosilglucose, Arabnose, Becognenine, Betulic acid, D-Manitol, Stigmasterol, Beta- sitosterol and Tannins, Green leaves contains: Glucosides, Volatile oil, Dry parts contains Centoic acid and Centalic acid. Whole plant also contains Pectic acid, Valerin, Resin and ascorbic acid.
- Skin diseases, Disease of nerve disorder, Improvement of memory, Leprosy,Tuberculosis, Anaemia, Cough, Fever, Asthma, Increases blood protein and RBC, Respiratory stimulant, Hepatoprotective, Hypotensive and wound healer.
- Skin:- This herb is very effective in skin diseases as it has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Its use is recommended in open sores and chronic wounds.
- Nervous system:- This herb boosts memory and grasping power. It is used as brain tonic. Its benefits in conditions like Alzheimer’s disease, Anxiety and depression are also appreciated.
- Digestive system:- It increases body fire and agni. Hence its preparations are used in indigestion, loss of appetite, conditions like irritable bowel syndrome and amoebiasis.
- Circulatory system:- This herb effectively helps reduce increased blood pressure and edema caused by increasedblood pressure. It normalizes vitiation of blood.
- Respiratory system:- The accumulated bronchial secretions or kapha gets easily expectorated when this herb is used in respiratory conditions like bronchitis and asthma.It is very useful in inflammation of vocal chords.
- Urinary system:- The herb reduces frequency of urination. It helps in diabetes also.
- Rejuvenation:-It slows down aging process. It helps to rejuvenate body tissues and boosts body immunity. It purifies and increases milk secretion in breast feeding mothers.
- The herb also acts as an antipyretic. It helps reduce fever and normalize body pressure.
- This herb may cause headache, rashes and giddiness when used in excess.
A word of caution
This herb may cause headache, rashes and giddiness when used in excess.
Information on the traditional uses and properties of herbs provided on the site is for educational use only, and is not intended as medical advice. Every attempt has been made for accuracy but none is guaranteed. Many traditional uses and properties of this herb have not been validated by the FDA. If you have any serious health concern you should consult with your health care practitioner before self administering this herb.