Chabulic Myrobalans (Haritaki)
English Name :- Chabulic Myrobalans (Haritaki)
Botanical Name :- Terminalia Chebula Retz
Family :- COMBRETACEAE
Parts - Used:- Fruits
Habit :- A large deciduous tree with dark brown bark, young arts covered with rusty hairs, Leaves are rough; flowers small creamish yellow
Taste :- Astringent
Chemical Constituents :- Fruits contain:- Tannic acid, Gallic acid, Chebulinic acid, Mucilage, Glycoside (Anthroquinine), Carbohydrates, Amino acids, hoshoric acid, Succinic acid, Seeds contain:- Oil.
Constipation, Cough, Haemorrhoid, Skin disease, Asthma, Dysentery, Uterine debility, Anemia, Headache, Diabetese, Leaucoderma; Trifala: A mixture of Harad, Behad Anvla: Appitizer, Tonic, used in: Malaria and Eye infections
- Haritaki has laxative, rejuvenative, purgative, astringent and dry proerties.
- The paste of it’s fruit is effective in reducing swelling, hastening the healing process and cleansing the wounds and ulcers.
- The paste gives relief to the eyelids, in case of conjunctivitis.
- Gargling with haritaki decoction helps in stomatitis, oral ulcers and sore throat.
- It serves as a good astringent for loose gums, bleeding and ulceration in gums.
- The herb is used in preparing trifala that is used for hair wash, brush teeth in pyorrhea and treat bleeding gums.
- Regular consumption of haritaki powder, fried in ghee, promotes longevity and boosts energy.
- It responds well to gastrointestinal ailments, tumors, ascites, piles, enlargement of liver- spleen, worms and colitis.
- Powered haritaki, mixed with jaggery, works well in gout.
- Its powder when mixed with honey and ghee, is an effective remedy for anemia.
- Haritaki is combined with sunthi powder and given with hot water to lighten asthma and hiccups.
- Its decoction when taken along with honey is of great help in hepatitis and obesity.
- The herb improve memory and is salutary in dysuria and urinary stones.
- Haritaki helps in improving appetite and helps in digestion.
- It is a good nervine and helps in nervous weakness and nervous irritability and promotes the receiving power of the five senses.
- Since it is anti-inflammatory and astringent, it is helpful in uretural discharges like spermatorrhea and vaginal discharges like Leucorrhea.
A word of caution
Information on the traditional uses and properties of herbs provided on the site is for educational use only, and is not intended as medical advice. Every attempt has been made for accuracy but none is guaranteed. Many traditional uses and properties of this herb have not been validated by the FDA. If you have any serious health concern you should consult with your health care practitioner before self administering this herb.