Ficus Bengalensis Linn
English Name :- Ficus Bengalensis Linn
Botanical Name :- Ficus bengalensis
Family :- MORACEAE
Parts - Used:- Whole plant, Buds, Roots and Latex
Habit :- Very large tree, with spreading branches, aerial prop roots, milky latex present an all parts, leaves ovate, obtuse and coriaceous, Flowers in receptacles.
Taste :- Astringent
Chemical Constituents :- Plant Contains: Glucoside; Bengalenoside and Talbutamide; Leucoantho cyanidins. Phytosterolin, Betasitosterol, Freidelin, Quercetin, Galactoside, Ticlic acid, Tannin
Infusion of Buds: useful in Diarrhoea and Dysentery. Tips of young aerial roots: stops vomiting; Juice mixed with in Sesamumo oil: is applied on burns; Latex Used in: Toothache, Genital diseases; Latex mixed sugar is useful in cough, Bark: in diabetes and Polyuria.
- The leaves are used to treat chronic diarrhea and dysentery.
- The latex of the tree, when taken with milk, has a healing effect on piles.
- Medicines made using the roots of the tree help in curing female sterility.
- Washing the genital region regularly with a decoction of the parts of the tree helps in curing leucorrhea.
- The latex, after being processed, can be taken to cure rheumatism.
- The, latex also has a healing effect on lumbago and other such diseases.
- In case of vomiting or nausea, the latex of the tree can be consumed in the form of a juice. It provides a lot of relief.
- The latex, increases the count of sperms.
- The bark of banyan is useful in controlling cholesterol effectively.
- The paste of its roots is used for making hair shiny and strong
- One should clean one’s teeth using the roots of this tree. This helps in protecting the gums against all kinds of infection and also keeps the teeth exceptionally clean.
- Cracked heals can be healed by applying the sap of the banyan tree to them. This should be done regularly without gap o produce maximum results.
- A paste made from the leaves can also be used as an application for curing skin disorder and is known to have a very soothing effect.
- Its latex, mixed with turmeric is used to remove skin scares and dark spots.
A word of caution
Precautions should be exercised while using the latex of this plant as it is toxic in nature
Information on the traditional uses and properties of herbs provided on the site is for educational use only, and is not intended as medical advice. Every attempt has been made for accuracy but none is guaranteed. Many traditional uses and properties of this herb have not been validated by the FDA. If you have any serious health concern you should consult with your health care practitioner before self administering this herb