Foeniculum Vulgare Mill
English Name :- Foeniculum Vulgare Mill
Botanical Name :- Foeniculum Vulgare
Family :- UMBELLIFERAE
Parts - Used:- Roots, Leaves and Fruits
Habit :- A large annual herb, pinnately compound leaves Flowers yellow in compound umbels.
Taste :- Aromatic Sweet
Chemical Constituents :- Plant and Fruit Contains: Ascorbic acid, Niacin, Riboflavin, Alpha, Beta & Gamma-Ticopherol, Alpha & Beta-Trocotrienol, Trigonelline, Anethol, Anisaldehyde Comphene, Estragol, Fenchone, Alpha-Fenelene, Foeniculin, Sabenene, Abscisic acid, Anicic acid, Caffeic acid, Chlorgenic acid, Cyanarin & Vanillin.
Fever, Urinbe-inflammation, Thirst, Dysentery, Diarrhoea, Cholera, Spleenomegaly, Anthelmintic, Analgesic, Brain tonic, Anta acid, Also useful in Flatulance, Cough, Asthma, Kidney disease.
- It treats respiratory disorders and is an important ingredient in cough remedies.
- It reduces high blood pressure and boosts sexual desires and increases brain function.
- Protects eyes from pre mature aging and macular degeneration.
- It acts as a laxative and removes constipation.
- It improves digestion a lot and is a certain remedy that expels gas from the stomach.
- Eliminates bad breath and it is gargled for hoarse and soar throat.
- Reduces risk of breast & liver cancer. It is also useful in the treatment of Spleen enlargement and kidney diseases.
- Strengthens the immune system and treats anemia.
- It treats Renal Colic. It is a tested remedy for acid stomach, gout cramps and spasms.
- It is diuretic and removes toxic substances from the body.
- It increases production and secretion of milk in lactating mothers.
- It strengthens hair, prevents hair loss.
- It has a marvelous cooling effect in summer.
- It is used for cancer patients after chemotherapy to rebuild their digestive system.
- Its tea is believed to be good for snake bites, insect bites, food poisoning and colds.
- It is the best herb for breast enlargement.
- It can kill bacteria and microbes even in low doses.
A word of caution
It is highly useful and widely used but excess of it can be dangerous because of the Anethol and other chemicals present in it.
Information on the traditional uses and properties of herbs provided on the site is for educational use only, and is not intended as medical advice. Every attempt has been made for accuracy but none is guaranteed. Many traditional uses and properties of this herb have not been validated by the FDA. If you have any serious health concern you should consult with your health care practitioner before self administering this herb.